27.2 C
Sunday, April 2, 2023

Former President Yar’adua’s Son Remanded for Killing Four, Secretly Released from Prison

Must read

The magistrate’s Court in Yola on Thursday remanded 36 year old  Aminu Yar’Adua , the son of late former President Musa Yar’Adua , in prison for allegedly killing four people in an auto crash in Yola.
Yar’Adua, who is a student of the American University of Nigeria (AUN) Yola, was charged to court for allegedly causing death by dangerous driving on 23 June, 2021.
According to the police First Information Report (FIR) tendered in court by the prosecutor, Insp. Zakka Musa, the accused had, while driving along Yola bye pass on 23 June, 2021, crushed six people as a result of over speeding.
The court heard that four of the victims were killed and the other two were injured in the accident, with the victims all hailing from Sabon Pegi, Yola South Local Government Area.
”Persons found died in the accident were identified as Aisha Umar (30), Aisha Mamadu (32), Suleiman Abubakar (2), and Jummai Abubakar (30), while, Rejoice Annu (28) and Hajara Aliyu (27) sustained injuries,” the FIR states.
The officer in charge prosecution added that the relatives of the late Aisha Umar, Suleiman Abubakar, and Jummai Abubakar had demanded the sum of N15 million from the defendant as compensation.
But, when the FIR was read to the defendant as prayed by the prosecutor, he denied committing the offence, describing the allegation as untrue.
At that point, the prosecutor pleaded with the court to adjourn the matter, to enable him to duplicate the case file and forward it to the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice.
The Magistrate, Jummai Ibrahim granted the prosecution’s request and adjourned the matter to August 19, 2021, for further mention, and ordered that the ex-president’s son be remanded in prison custody until then.
This paper gathered from prison and court sources that Yaradua was released after a touted settlement between his family and the families of the four people killed in the accident.
A close relative of one of the deceased women, Aisha Umar who spoke to our reporter in confidence said, they were herded to the magistrate court where they were asked to leave the matter to God.
“We were taken to the premises of the court where we were asked to leave the matter to God. And since then we obliged and left the matter,” the family source said amidst sobs.
On whether the family got any form of compensation since they had purportedly sought out-of-court settlement, the source said, “we were not given a penny. If there is any arrangement, we were not aware of it as a family,” the source said.
Efforts to contact the husband of Aisha Umar, Malam Muazu proved abortive as his phone number was not connecting for two days running.
But a source close to Aminu Yar’adua insisted that a princely N15 million exchanged hands between Yar’adua family and the families of the deceased.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Latest article