President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the Minister of Agriculture, Mohammed Nanono and his Power counterpart, Saleh Mamman, were sacked in a bid to reinvigorate his cabinet and consolidate legacy achievements.
Buhari also hinted that the contributions of the ministers could be considered “weak”.
“These significant review steps have helped to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps,” he added.
The president said this in his address during the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday in Abuja.
A copy of the address was made available to our correspondent by the president’s special adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.
Buhari also noted that the ministers were sacked after an independent and critical self-review of their performance.
Though the president did not reveal the rating of the sacked ministers’ performances, many Nigerians have continuously complained about the poor state of power and high price of food in the country.
After relieving the ministers of their jobs, the former military leader redeployed Dr. Mohammad Mahmood Abubakar, Minister of Environment, to the Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development, while Engr. Abubakar D. Aliyu, Minister of State, Works & Housing was asked to assume office as the Minister of Power.
Buhari said that the sackings of the ministers was to also close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.
He said, “On Wednesday 21st August, 2019 the current Federal Executive Council was sworn-in after a rigorous retreat to bring returning and new members up to speed on the accomplishments, challenges and lessons drawn from my first term in Office and to emphasise the nine priority areas of government for the second term.
“Two years and some months into the second term, the tradition of subjecting our projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review has taken firm roots through sector Reporting during Cabinet meetings and at Retreats.
“I must commend this cabinet for demonstrating unparalleled resilience that helped the government to navigate the disruption to global systems and governance occasioned by the emergence of COVID-19 shortly after inauguration. The weekly Federal Executive Council meetings was not spared because the traditional mode was altered.
“As we are all aware, change is the only factor that is constant in every human endeavour and as this administration approaches its critical phase in the second term, I have found it essential to reinvigorate this cabinet in a manner that will deepen its capacity to consolidate legacy achievements.”
The president explained that the sacked ministers had earlier been informed, adding that vacant positions would be filled in accordance with the constitution.
“In due course, substantive nominations will be made to fill the consequential vacancies in accordance with the requirements of the constitution.
“I have personally met with the departing members to thank them for their contributions to discussions in cabinet and the invaluable services rendered to the nation.
“Today, effectively marks their last participation in the Federal Executive Council deliberations and I wish them the best in all future endeavours,” he said.